About the Play
Book and lyrics by: Benita Scheckel
Music and lyrics by: Michael Upward
Cast Size: 14+
Ideal Band Size: 3-7
Style: Family Comedy
Bend in the Road: The Anne of Green Gables musical is a fun and heartwarming family comedy musical based on the beloved classic novel, Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Bend in the Road tells the story of young Anne Shirley, an orphan, who is mistakenly adopted by siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert to help them on their Avonlea farm. Anne’s intelligent, joyous and imaginative ways change the lives of all those around her in this small town, including Matthew, Marilla and nosy town gossip Mrs. Rachel Lynde. Anne finds fast friendships at school and a rivalry with classmate Gilbert Blythe turns complicated as they grow up.
The authors produced a public reading at the Shakespeare League of Pasadena. It was produced by 134 West at the Carrie Hamilton Theatre at the Pasadena Playhouse in 2012. And was 2013 New York Musical Theatre Festival Next Link Project and was supported by a grant from the Anna Sosenko Trust. BEND IN THE ROAD has performed to rave reviews and sold out shows in both it’s productions. it was hailed as a “masterpiece production’ by Yahoo and Huffington Post raved it “would be most welcome on Broadway.” Bend in the Road now looking for it’s next step of development. Contact us for more info
Few things to know:
– Bend in the Road is based on the beloved classic Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Anne of Green Gables has sold more than 50 million copies and has been translated into 20 languages. Numerous best selling sequels followed by author L. M. Montgomery. The original book is taught to students around the world.
– Bend in the Road is a high-energy, family comedy perfect for all ages. Bend in the Road’s themes of finding a home, being an intelligent and independent woman, the power of imagination, and growing up resonate with audiences from all walks of life.
– Bend in the Road can be done with 14 cast members or filled with more cast members of all ages.
– Co-writer Benita Scheckel is an award-winning teacher and music educator and Bend in the Road has several built-in educational components that would work perfectly for any theater’s educational outreach.
– We are open to future development possibilities from small to large commercial productions, either non-profit or commercial.
Bend in the Road info sheet – Download Info Sheet here
For press inquiries, please contact Jim Randolph Media Relations 212-704-9894
For inquiries, please contact email@example.com
For press information, please download th Bend In The Road Sheet.
For photos, please go to Media page